Section 1: What Is Sabbath?
Section 2: Cultivating Sabbath
- Prepare – John 10:10
- Rest Starts with the Youth Workers, Nathan Stucky – Video and Discussion Outline
- Sabbath-Keeping and Attentiveness, David Rahn – Video and Discussion Outline
- Cultivating Habits for Sabbath-Keeping, David Rahn – Video and Discussion Outline
- Time Bandits, Ebonie Davis – Video and Discussion Outline
- Technology and Rest, Nathan Stucky – Video and Discussion Outline
- Mind, Body, Spirit Resilience, Jannah Scott – Video and Discussion Outline
- How to Build Happiness into Youth Programming, Laurie Santos – Video and Discussion Outline
- Questions for Reflection
- Additional Resources
Section 3: The Benefits of Rest and Sabbath-Keeping
Section 4: Communal Sabbath
Prepare – Leviticus 25:1-12
Focal Scripture – Leviticus 25:1-12
The Lord spoke to Moses on Mount Sinai, saying: Speak to the people of Israel and say to them: When you enter the land that I am giving you, the land shall observe a sabbath for the Lord. Six years you shall sow your field, and six years you shall prune your vineyard, and gather in their yield; but in the seventh year there shall be a sabbath of complete rest for the land, a sabbath for the Lord: you shall not sow your field or prune your vineyard. You shall not reap the aftergrowth of your harvest or gather the grapes of your unpruned vine: it shall be a year of complete rest for the land. You may eat what the land yields during its sabbath—you, your male and female slaves, your hired and your bound laborers who live with you; for your livestock also, and for the wild animals in your land all its yield shall be for food.
You shall count off seven weeks of years, seven times seven years, so that the period of seven weeks of years gives forty-nine years. Then you shall have the trumpet sounded loud; on the tenth day of the seventh month—on the day of atonement—you shall have the trumpet sounded throughout all your land. And you shall hallow the fiftieth year and you shall proclaim liberty throughout the land to all its inhabitants. It shall be a jubilee for you: you shall return, every one of you, to your property and every one of you to your family. That fiftieth year shall be a jubilee for you: you shall not sow, or reap the aftergrowth, or harvest the unpruned vines. For it is a jubilee; it shall be holy to you: you shall eat only what the field itself produces.