Sample Interview Questions for Youth Workers
- What type of supervisory situation do you prefer? (If a person is too independent, they may not fit with needing close supervision)
- What age/sex of youth do you want to work with? How would you feel about working with a different age/sex? (If the applicant is fixated on working with one age/sex, be wary. Asking follow up questions about why an applicant has a strong preference can help to see if there is cause for concern)
- Is there anyone who might suggest that you should not work with youth? Why or why not?
- Why do you want the job?
- What would you do in a xx situation? (select one appropriate for church school or youth programs)
- What makes you a good candidate for working with youth?
- What would your friends or colleagues say about how you interact with youth?
- What other hobbies or activities do you enjoy?
(Questions 6-8 help to determine if the applicant has mature, adult relationships – not just relationships with youth)