Community

Notifications
Clear all

LGBTQ+ Youth

Jill Olds
Registered
Topic starter
(@jill-olds-dir-of-ymi)

Folks, we recently hosted a wonderful conversation with Mx. Yadi Martinez, a youth pastor who focuses on LGBTQ+ youth ministry.  (Please check out their clips on our website!)

It got me wondering: how are you all doing at being especially mindful of supporting our LGBTQ+ young people?  What programs, approaches, etc, have worked in your context?

Topic Tags
5 Replies
Michael Felt
Registered
(@michael-felt)

Hi,

We have a very sensitive approach to LGBTQ+ youth as we are very aware of the heavily nuanced and complex relationship our religious youth have with sexuality in general and especially with developing self-identity. Our primary goal is to create a safe space. What happens next is mostly student-driven, we let them kind of choose the direction they want to go, as we are just there to help them lead their lives in the best way possible.

Michael

3 Replies
Jill Olds
Registered
(@jill-olds-dir-of-ymi)

@michael-felt That's delightful to hear!  I think that providing the safe space for young people to question and wonder together is so needed in this season.  And I love that you're letting youth pave the way!

We have an offering coming up in three weeks about this very topic, with the Rev. Phiwa Langeni, so please do join us if you can!   

Michael Felt
Registered
(@michael-felt)

@jill-olds-dir-of-ymi

Hi Jill, Thanks for the invite, I would be so happy to join if it works with my schedule! Can I trouble you for the link?

Thanks!! - Michael

Megan Lukens
Yale Youth Ministry Institute Staff
(@megan)

Michael Felt
Registered
(@michael-felt)

Registered 🙂

Yale Youth Ministry Institute